Home

Lights by Region

   Great Southern
   South West
   Metropolitan

      Rottnest
   Batavia

   Gascoyne
   Pilbara

   Kimberley

      Cape Bossut
      Entrance Pt
      Gantheaume Pt
      Imperieuse Reef
      Red Bluff
      East Is
      Cape Leveque
      Derby
      Black Rock
      Tanner Is
      Cafferelli Is
      Adele Is
      Degerando Is
      Browse Is
      Troughton
      Leseur Is
      Lacrosse Is
      Wyndham

   Northern Territory

.

Historical Photographic Collections

.

WA Timeline

.

Links & References

.

MV Cape Don

    Lighthouse Tender

    Crew at work

.

Lighthouse Holidays

   E/States of Australia

   Rest of the World

 

 

Degerando Islet

Admiralty Reference # 1641
1960 - present

Ralph Meakins Collection


  The 3 m steel cylinder house was built in 1960. There is a small shed at the beach landing which contains the motorised trolley used on the monorail.

Landfall silhouette as seen from the MV Cape Don.

 

Source: Australian Hydrographic excerpt of Chart 730- 1989

 

   

The lens and kerosene burner mantles

Photos by Ralph Meakins

When the acetylene burner (visible above and left - pre 1970) was converted to solar in 1987, the original lens was left in place.

   

 

The Monorail used during the construction of the lighthouse and to transport fuel from the beach landing up to the light. Still in situ even though the light is now solar powered.

 

More from the Ralph Meakins Collection