Home

Lights by Region

   Great Southern
   South West
   Metropolitan

      Rottnest
   Batavia

   Gascoyne
   Pilbara

   Kimberley

      Cape Bossut
      Entrance Pt
      Gantheaume Pt
      Imperieuse Reef
      Red Bluff
      East Is
      Cape Leveque
      Derby
      Black Rock
      Tanner Is
      Cafferelli Is
      Adele Is
      Degerando Is
      Browse Is
      Troughton
      Leseur Is
      Lacrosse Is
      Wyndham

   Northern Territory

.

Historical Photographic Collections

.

WA Timeline

.

Links & References

.

MV Cape Don

    Lighthouse Tender

    Crew at work

.

Lighthouse Holidays

   E/States of Australia

   Rest of the World

 

Cape Leveque

Admiralty Reference # 1650
1911 - present

Photo by Ralph Meakins

A white painted prefabricated cast iron tower was designed by the Public Works Dept. and  manufactured in Perth by Bela Makutz. Cape Leveque was built at the same time as Cape Inscription, Point Cloates and Bedout Is, prompted by the need for additional navigational aids along the north west coast to assisit travellers between Singapore and the West Australian coast. Following a wreck at Cape Vlamingh, a Lighthouse at Vlamingh Head was added to the list.

 

The Cape Leveque third order lens is currently on display on the upper level of the new WA Maritime Museum.

The light source was originally a three burner candescent kerosene vapour lamp of 25 000 candelas. The flashing sequence was three white flashes in quick succession every 15 seconds.

This lantern was manufactured by Chance Bros.  The clockwork mechanism (opposite) operating the rotating lens is original but is now driven by an electric motor.

 

Photos courtesy of J. Kaye

 

Source: Australian Hydrographic excerpt of Chart 733 - 1991

  

More from the Ralph Meakins Collection