Historical Photographic Collections
MV Cape Don Lighthouse Tender
original latitude 37.07.14S
1851 - 1902
Before a lighthouse was built on the
headland, beacon fires were used to guide ships into Fremantle at night.
However this system was open to error. The pilot of the Amelia, when she
ran aground on Stragglers Rocks, claimed he had mistaken a fire on the
mainland for the beacon on 'Gaol Hill'.
|Signal masts and flag staffs preceded the installation
of a lighthouse which was commenced in 1850. It was first lit on the 22nd
anniversary of the founding of the Swan River Colony on 1st June, 1851.
|Begun in 1876, constructed by convicts and first
lit on 1st October, 1879.
Made redundant by the Woodman Point Leading Light
|Mr. J.H. Thomas
|A rectangular building with a cylindrical tower
|22 feet (6.71m) in diameter, 72 feet (21.95m) tall
|? visibility was less than 14 miles.
|Third order fixed dioptric light (Chance Bros.)
Visibility of 14 miles
|Whale oil ; later replaced with mustard oil.
|The tower was removed and the rectangular base was
roofed and the building used for storing the flags for the flagstaff.
The base was also demolished during the development
of Fort Arthur.
|A new Harbour, designed by C.Y. O'Connor, was built
in 1897. In 1902 the lantern was removed and taken to Bunbury. The time
ball was placed on the base of the tower in 1903. The tower was demolished
in 1905 to make way for the construction of the Arthur's Head Battery.
The stone was broken up and used for road metal.