New Year Is
Historical Photographic Collections
MV Cape Don Lighthouse Tender
The WA and NT coast line came under the control of the WA Branch of the CLS...
Click below for more images and historical
||New Year Is
Cape Don 1917
|Charles Point 1893
||Emery Point 1917
||Cape Hotham 1928
Travelling and Lighthouse Hunting
in the Region.
If you are interested in travelling around
the Coast, a suggested route and itinerary might be
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); three white flashes,
separated by 2 s, every 15 s. 15 m (49 st) square skeletal tower with lantern
and gallery; entire structure painted white. Winsome Bonham has an
aerial photo. Located at the southwestern point of Bathurst Island, marking
the beginning of the approach to Darwin from the Timor Sea. The island is an
aboriginal reserve, and visitors require a permit from the Tiwi Islands Land
Council. Tours are available from Darwin. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site
manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-244; Admiralty 3318; NGA 9520.
1893. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); white flash every 5 s. 32 m (105
ft) hexagonal pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower with central cylinder, lantern,
and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The oldest lighthouse
in Northern Territory. Unfortunately, there has been no public
access to the light station since the late 1990s, when the surrounding land,
formerly a Radio Australia facility, was sold to Christian Voice Broadcasting.
Located on a headland at the western entrance to Port Darwin, about 25 km (15
mi) northwest of the city. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager:
Darwin Port Corporation (?). ARLHS
AUS-056; Admiralty 3322; NGA 9524.
Emery Point (2)
1917 (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 18 m (60 ft); three
flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 9.5 m (31 ft) square
steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery; entire structure painted white.
John Ibbotson has a good
closeup photo. Located in the Larrakeyah Barracks, a historic military post
at the entrance to the inner harbor of Darwin. Site and tower closed (Larrakeyah
Barracks is now the headquarters of Australia's Northern Command). Operator:
Darwin Port Corporation (?). Site
manager: Larrakeyah Barracks. ARLHS AUS-071; Admiralty 3324; NGA 9528.
1928. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); three white flashes, separated by 2
s, every 15 s. 16.5 m (54 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery;
entire structure painted white. Winsome Bonham has an
aerial photo. Located at the end of a long peninsula about 80 km (50 mi)
northeast of Darwin, marking the entrance to the Clarence Strait, the eastern
approach to Darwin. Site status unknown, tower closed. Operator/site manager:
AMSA. ARLHS AUS-245; Admiralty 3315; NGA 9544.
1917. Active; focal plane 50 m (163 ft); white flash every 10 s. 36 m (118
ft) cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery rising from an octagonal
base. Tower unpainted, lantern painted white. Keeper's houses converted to a
fishing lodge and available for overnight
accommodations. Australia's northernmost traditional lighthouse, standing in
latitude 11°18.0' S. This is the only Northern Territory lighthouse on the
Heritage Register. In 2005 the original Chance Brothers 1° Fresnel lens and
rotating apparatus was located in storage and
to the Queensland Maritime Museum in
Brisbane. Winsome Bonham has an
aerial photo. Located on the tip of the Cobourg Peninsula, marking the
entrance to the Dundas Strait. Accessible only by boat or by air. Site open,
tower closed. Operator: AMSA. Site manager:
Garig Gunak Barlu National Park. ARLHS AUS-028; Admiralty 3314; NGA 9548.