Mary Anne Reef
Great Sandy Is
North Sandy Is
Double Is (North)
Historical Photographic Collections
MV Cape Don
Admiralty Reference # Decommissioned
The Ralph Meakins Collection
Photo courtesy of Ralph Meakins
Photo by Colin Bishop whilst travelling between
postings at Cape Leveque and Cape Naturaliste.
Mt Blaze is located to the east of Port Hedland. It originally
contained a 10 metre high light on a mild steel square open lattice tower, which
was built around 1921. It still existed in 1948, but was abandoned soon after.
The tower was apparently demolished and pushed into the sea. In September 1995,
when visited, all that was visible was a base and starpickets. (Cummings et al)
Can you help? The photo above showing the Tower faintly in the
background and with Ralph himself holding the osprey chick, was definitely
annotated by Ralph on the original slide as being on Mt Blaze (the chick being
named "Blaze" after the nest and chick were removed from the tower).
This therefore poses a question as to just when the tower was "pushed
over", as the tower certainly has people working on it as though it is
still being maintained. Does anyone know more about the exact details of dates.
The closest we can identify the date of this photo is 1964 based on the known
date of Colin Bishop's trip on the Cape Don. It was not unusual for Keepers in
transition between postings, to be involved in going ashore to help out the
maintenance crews. Could they have been demolishing the tower on this trip -
about 20 years after it was decommissioned?
More from the Ralph